Art of Song
Art of Song is an intensive three-week program for talented undergraduate and graduate singers and pianists interested in increasing collaborative, artistic, and technical skills through art song duet, trio and quartet repertoire, and vocal chamber music with Orvieto Musica instrumentalists. In addition, they will coach and perform Italian and American art songs. Recent programming has included Barber’s Dover Beach, Saint-Saëns’s Violons dans le soir, Laitman’s Captivity, Händel’s Neun Deutsche Arien, Previn’s Four Songs, Ewazen’s To Cast a Shadow Again, Holst’s Four Songs, Beach’s Chanson d’amour, Bolcom’s Let Evening Come, Heggie’s My True Love Hath My Heart, Clarke’s Three Irish Country Songs, and Vaughan Williams’s Along the Field. Participants will emerge from this program with increased knowledge of chamber repertoire for recital programming, confidence in musical leadership and collaborative mentorship, and professional versatility.
- Daily coachings and weekly master classes
- Vocal ensemble repertoire (art song duets, trios and quartets) by composers such as G.F. Handel, Pauline Viardot, Paolo Tosti, Gwyneth Walker, Robert Schumann, Lori Laitman, Francis Poulenc, Franz Schubert, Juliana Hall, Henri Duparc, Cécile Chaminade, Henry Purcell, Émile Paladilhe, Claudio Monteverdi, Johannes Brahms, Antonín Dvorák, Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky, Charles Gounod, Ernest Chausson, Carl Maria von Weber, Ludwig van Beethoven, and many more!
- Vocal chamber music with Orvieto Musica instrumentalists
- Multiple performance opportunities in historic venues
- Daily advanced Italian language classes *
- 2 Invited Guest Artist openings for tenure track faculty (see below for details)
- Admittance limited to 8 singers and 2 pianists
Pianists in “The Art of Song” will perform collaboratively with the vocalists in the program and also have the opportunity to rehearse and perform string and brass chamber music.
* Daily Italian classes for The Art of Song assume that singers will have completed at least one semester of Italian language instruction prior to coming to Orvieto. (Detailed information as to Italian language requirements is available and will be provided upon receipt of your application.)
Singers who wish to “brush up” on Italian language skills may want to peruse the following website:
Tenure Track Guest Artist Program
Up to two tenure track faculty members will be formally invited (by personal letter) to perform on the OM 2022 faculty recital, give an “Art of Song” master class, attend daily Italian classes and coach and perform additional “Art of Song” repertoire. For more details, please inquire at: firstname.lastname@example.org